A child theme allows you to change small aspects of your site’s appearance yet still preserve your theme’s look and functionality.
What is a Parent Theme?
A parent theme is a complete theme which includes all of the required WordPress template files and assets for the theme to work. All themes – excluding child themes – are considered parent themes. In your download package harizma.zip is a parent Harizma theme.
What is a Child Theme?
A child theme inherits the look and feel of the parent theme and all of its functions, but can be used to make modifications to any part of the theme. In this way, customizations are kept separate from the parent theme’s files. Using a child theme lets you upgrade the parent theme without affecting the customizations you’ve made to your site.
- make your modifications portable and replicable;
- keep customization separate from parent theme functions;
- allow parent themes to be updated without destroying your modifications;
- allow you to take advantage of the effort and testing put into parent theme;
- save on development time since you are not recreating the wheel; and
- are a great way to start learning about theme development.
Child theme customizations are recommended only for advanced WordPress users. When customizing a child theme please make you’re 100% sure what you’re doing, otherwise your website may malfunction or even crash.
Setup Child Theme
If you went though the wizard theme setup you’re likely to already have the child theme installed and activated. If you skipped child theme installation, just take file harizma-child.zip from your downloaded package and install it as a normal WordPress theme.